Sunday, February 28, 2016

3D Preschool Word Wall

Word walls are great for elementary school, but are they necessary for pre-readers? Well, I think it is essential to incorporate as much literacy as possible into the classroom. We have a weekly letter show-and-tell which helps with beginning sound isolation and alliteration, and has the added bonus of encouraging parent involvement! After show-and-tell, I pick 2-3 items to add to the word wall with the word. Now, older children need the entire alphabet, whereas I think that would be too over-whelming for preschoolers.
I think this is a great word wall so that students can "read" the words when they see the picture. I use this same concept when I print picture-word cards to put in my pocket chart for students to read before transitioning to another activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment