Wednesday, November 11, 2015

So yeah...that really happens.

     I finally got the chance to make a doctor appointment for the first time since the summer because I had Veteran's Day off (thank you vets!). My hands get so dry and scaly from washing them 100 times a day, especially in the winter. When I use lotion, I get patches of inflamed, itchy, burning skin. I had finally had enough. Well actually, I started to think it may be a chemical burn from the bleach water we use to sanitize the tables and sink.
It's kind of hard to tell from these photos, but they look terrible. Not to mention I have lots of little cracks in my skin:( 
I was reminded in the 6 hour Communicable Disease class I took this week that each little crack is a way for a virus, bacteria, and microbes to enter my body. Yuck!
     So I also had a "bug bite" on my arm that wasn't going away. It's on a place that I don't look at all day so I didn't really notice it until someone in my family asked about it. A closer look made me realize how round it was. See where I'm going with this...? Yes, it is indeed ringworm. Wait! Ringworm is a fungus, not an actual worm, but still gross. And, it is only spread from direct contact with infected skin which means I now have to figure out which one of my kiddos gave it to me!
     I got a cream for both skin ailments, along with a flu shot. I'm not a germaphobe, but I hate being sick. I remembered hearing that not all vaccines are meant to last forever, and that communicable disease class made me want to get boosters for everything, lol. So much so that I requested a titer for Hep B. What is a titer, you ask? They do a blood test and analyze the amount of antibodies in your blood to determine if you are still immune, or if you need another vaccine. Still anxiously awaiting those results!
     I guess every job has risks. The risks we take in Early Childhood usually come in the form of an attack on the immune system!

No comments:

Post a Comment