Friday, November 20, 2015

Unique fall experience

    I love adding things from nature to the science area, and fall is the best time because it's so easy to find cute gourds, pumpkins, and Indian corn. I also have a basket of shelled nuts and a coconut.
    So, my coteacher has a preschooler this year and it is interesting to hear what they are doing in their class. One thing that I thought was awesome was ears of deer corn in the sand table. Ohio has lots of corn that is too hard to eat, but looks like regular corn and not the texture of Indian corn. Unfortunately, I started looking for corn about a week after everyone cut down their cornfields:(
     I asked about everyone I know if they knew a farmer or had another connection, and another teacher in my building came through with a dozen ears (thanks again Melanie!)! I added the corn to the sand table and gave an introduction about how to peel off the kernels from the cob.
The loose corn can then be scooped and dumped when it is all off the cobs. 
I hope the novelty doesn't wear off too quickly because today the sand table was the main attraction! Everyone was very quiet and engaged:)


No comments:

Post a Comment