Saturday, January 16, 2016

Coming to school after a 3 week break...

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised this week because after 3 weeks of no school, I expected everyone to have forgotten the rules! I think they were all not only so excited to come back to school, but also that we had added so many new things to the classroom environment. I added a talking microscope and a basket of textured materials to science area, community helper costumes, doctor kit, and diaper bag filled with baby supplies to house area, and changed up the sand table again.

I cut 6 pool noodles and added some long shoelaces so they can use fine motor and hand-eye coordination to string. As a bonus, I encouraged them to try making a pattern while stringing!
When I took the corn out of the sand table, I decided to use it to make a new sensory box by adding some farm animals instead of tossing it.

When we started the new year, we had everyone "check in" when they got to school by moving their picture (with name printed on the back), but now they have to read their name, as well as sign in daily on arrival.

My homework over break was to create a new job board according to the Conscious Discipline approach; each student should have a job. I have always had class jobs because kids love them and it fosters independence and self-esteem. They take turns and most kids are fine with this, but I have had a few who would become very upset when they did not get a job that week. I was on board with the idea, but scrambled to try to think of 11 more new jobs on top of the prior 6.
It is more difficult to remember who is doing each job all week, but they all take their jobs very seriously!
We have a lot left to do for the rest of the year, but it usually goes by quickly after Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment