Saturday, January 16, 2016

Preschool Rhyming Book

     Anyone who knows me knows I love to make class books. Kids LOVE them! It is much more difficult to create them in preschool than it was in 1st grade though. In 1st grade, we made enough so that each person got to have one at the end of the year (including me!), but in preschool it's hard to find age appropriate ideas and have the time to do them with so much going on! So, you can imagine my excitement when I saw this idea and tried it.
     Set up the activity by reviewing rhymes. Have a large assortment of things that have a "rhyme match" displayed. After giving an example, I always start with the most difficult skills to see if anyone can find a match independently. Next, you can have them choose an object to find a match, and then for the most help, give them two to choose the right match. I, of course, give lots of help with exaggerated enunciation. Take a picture of each student holding their rhyme match.
When the pictures are printed, they become the illustrations for the book. I considered making it a wordless book, since the students will know the name of their friend and the two objects, but decided it would be better to have them "read" it once I have modeled the pattern of the repeated text.
I laminated each page for durability, and am excited to show the completed book to them on Tuesday:)

No comments:

Post a Comment